262 Montreal Rd.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ottawa and Countryside
- Pop. 17,771. A city within the Reg. Mun. of Ottawa-Carleton on the Rideau R. inunediately E of central Ottawa.
- Vanier's 2.5 square km (1 sq. mi) make it Canada's smallest city, which in turn is surrounded by the expanded capital city.
- The first settlers of this detached portion of Gloucester T. arrived in the 1820s. The site was first known as Cummings Bridge after Charles Cummmgs, who established a general store, carriage shop and built a bridge over the Rideau R.
- In the 1870s the name was changed to Janeville, presumably after Jane, wife of John McArthur, who owned the land now traversed by the McArthur Rd.
- In 1909 Janeville and the hamlets of Clarkstown and Clandeboye joined under the name Eastview, which was incorporated as a town in 1909 and a city in 1963.
- In 1963 the city was renamed Vanier after the late Gov. Gen. Georges Philias Vanier. Many of Eastview' s men served in the Second World War and, to honour the town's contribution, one of the navy's frigates was named HMCS Eastview.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/vanier