Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 1,374. In Lambton C.: in the NE portion of L. St. Clair at the mouth of the St. Clair R., 52 km S of Sarnia.
- Walpole iS just one of the islands in a five-island archipelago. The others are Seaway, St. Anne's, Squirrel and Basett. Walpole Island is about 16 km long and 5-6 km wide, and is linked by toll ferry to Algonac, MI.
- On a chart prepared for Commodore Sir Edward Owen in 1815, the island is called St. Mary's, but the channels and a bay are called Walpole after Lt. Arthur Walpole, who died in 1842.
- Walpole served in Canada and prepared the Fort Erie Plan in 1818-19.
- Walpole Island became an Indian reserve in 1827. Its proper name is Bkejwanong which means 'the place where the waters divide,' referring to the Chenal Ecarte (Snye) River and the St. Clair R. delta, both bordering the islands.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/walpoleisland