PO Box 10,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 1,531. In Aldborough T., Elgin C., on C. Rds. 2 & 76, 40 km SW of St. Thomas.
- Scots were the first settlers in the early 1800s, followed by a wave of Germans after 1846.
- When the Canada Southern Railway was building its line through the area in 1872, German settler John Schliehauf provided land and requested that the station be called Bismarck after the German chancellor, Prince Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898).
- When the post office opened the following year, it was known as West Clayton. In the same year the name was changed to Lorne after the Marquess of Lome, (who became governor general of Canada in 1878) then to Dutton, and back to Lome.
- Finally it was changed back to West Lome. Until 1907, when West Lome was officially adopted as the name, the community was known as Bismarck, or Lome, or Bismarck-Loroe.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/westlorne