Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 2,051. In Plympton T., Lambton C., on C. Rds. 21 & 39, 22 km. E of Sarnia.
- The townsite was laid out in 1856 by W. McMullen, and that year an auction was held to sell lots. The place was named Wyoming after a county in Pennsylvania, by officials of the Great Western Railway whose line reached here in 1858.
- When oil was discovered at nearby Oil Springs in 1858, Wyommg experienced a major boom as the nearest shipping depot.
- At one time there were four refineries. Barrels were hauled to Wyoming on 'jumpers' or 'stone boats' along a swampy road nicknamed 'The Canal.'
- By 1863 oil wells had diminished, the refineries had closed, and Oil Springs and Wyoming went into decline.
Natural Resources Canada in the County of Lambton.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/plymptonwyoming