764 Loggers Way
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ottawa and Countryside
- Pop. 50. In West Carleton T., Reg. Mun. Of Ottawa-Carleton on Hwy. 17, 13 km SE of Amprior.
- The first settler was blacksmith Joseph Howard and a post office opened in 1856 with David Sloan as postmaster. Mineral waters with supposedly curative powers were found nearby on land acquired from the Crown in 1835 by Francis Gillan.
- A man named Checkley leased the land from Gillan and built a hotel, stables and bath houses. Stage coaches ran daily to meet trains at nearby Pakenham to deliver customers to the waters for relief from rheumatic and arthritic pains.
- In 1894 Michael Green from Appleton leased the property and built a two-storey hotel and dancing pavilion that burned down in the early 1900s. The third lessee was William Gillan who built a new hotel called the Dominion Spring Hotel.
- Business boomed until the Depression closed the operation. Fire razed the buildings in 1933 and the business has not been revived.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/antrim