104 Lang Road,
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Open daily Father's Day to Labour Day. Spring & fall hours vary (please visit website for details)
Description From Owner:
- Lang Pioneer Village Museum was established by the County of Peterborough in 1967 to celebrate and preserve the rural history of the area.
- Each year, thousands of visitors from around the world take a trip back in time to discover how the pioneers lived.
- Nestled along the banks of the historic Indian River, Lang Pioneer Village Museum features over twenty-five restored and furnished buildings constructed between 1825 and 1899.
- Many of the buildings were donated by townships within the County of Peterborough and moved to their present site when the Museum was founded.
- A photographer's paradise, the Village is complete with lanes and pathways, farm animals, rail and stump fences, vegetable and herb gardens, as well as other authentic details of a 19th century hamlet.
- Villagers of all ages, dressed in authentic historical costume, go about their daily chores contributing to the authenticity of this living history experience.
- Sparks fly from the anvil in the blacksmith shop, handbills are printed on the old press in the Register Print Shop and the gentle smell of wood smoke fills the air.
- Chat with the Village carpenter at his treadle lathe or the spinner at her wheel and visit the 14-room Keene Hotel for lemonade or afternoon tea.
- The Village is the site of David Fife's 1820's log cabin. Fife was accredited with the discovery of Red Fife wheat in 1842.
- Red Fife wheat was ground into flour at the three-storey Lang Grist Mill. The limestone for the walls of this impressive structure came from the Indian River.
- Originally built in 1846, visitors can still see wheat ground into whole wheat flour throughout the summer at the Lang Grist Mill.
- During July & August, visitors can enjoy Afternoon Tea in the Keene Hotel located within the historic village (aditional fee).
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/langpioneervillage