8 Main Street
Ontario Tourism Region : Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 837. In Stanley and Goderich Ts., Huron C., at the mouth of the Bayfield R. and L. Huron on Hwy 21,21 km S of Goderich.
- The townsite was surveyed in 1832 and the first home was built the following year. The town grew rapidly, and a post office was established in 1847.
- By 1870 the population exceeded 700, but in that decade the Grand Trunk Railway line to Goderich bypassed the village by several miles to the east, and the population began to decline.
- The community was named after the Admiralty Surveyor of the Great Lakes, Henry Wolsey Bayfield.
- Today it is a quiet summer resort with an excellent beach and marina, several historic inns, and a number of beautifully restored Victorian homes.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/bayfield