22 Second St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 2,886. In Tecumseth T., Simcoe C., at C. Rds. 1 & 10,38 km. S of Barrie. The first settler, William Hammill, arrived in 1827, and a village named Clarksville was established after Robert Clark, a blacksmith, began selling lots in 1852.
- In 1860, the Tecumseth post office, which had been operating 5 km. from the village, moved to Clarksville, but kept its name.
- (The original post office, opened m 1842, was named for one of the two ships -- the Nawash and Tecumseth -- sunk in Penetanguishene Harbour in 1819.)
- David Allanson Jones, who was to become the 'Bee King' of the 19th century, moved to Clarksville in the 1860s.
- He purchased two swarms of bees from a neighbour in 1870 and became Canada's fIrst commercial beekeeper and a pioneer in large-scale honey production.
- He developed beekeeping equipment, printed a bee journal, and founded the Ontario Beekeepers' Association.
- Since honey bees were not then indigenous to North America, Jones established an apiary in Cyprus where he raised queen bees.
- A fire in 1893 destroyed the plant where Jones printed a weekly journal, and the rising cost of importing bees finally bankrupted him.
- In 1876 a name change was needed at Clarksville since mail was being directed to a number of other 'Clark' places. Beeton was chosen to honour Jones' contribution to the apiary industry.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/beetonontario