871 Ward St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 1,671. In Smith T., Peterborough C., on the E shore of Chemung L. and C. Rd. 18, 9 km NW of Peterborough.
- The first house was erected by William Valley some time after 1818 and operated as a tavern.
- When Cornelius Herrington, a tailor, arrived in 1840, he and Asa Dunbar, then owner of the tavern, were the only two residents. In 1852 the Kelly family built a mill and the community began to grow.
- The post office was established as Bridgenorth in 1854, possibly because a floating bridge across L. Chemung -- not opened until 1870 -was then being planned, or after Bridgnorth in Shropshire, England.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/bridgenorth