21 College St W.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 271. In Thurlow T., Hastings C., on the Moira R., 1 Ian N of Hwy 401,5 km. N of Belleville.
- The community was founded by John Canniff in 1806. The Canniff family built a flour mill in 1812.
- When the post office was established in 1853, the place was named Bridgewater, but the following year the name was changed to Cannifton.
- In the 1860s Cannifton was made a stage junction and became the gateway to the northern townships of Hastings C. The population reached 1,000, but as the lumber and flour trade began to decline by 1870, so did the population.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/cannifton