Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 1,629. In Edwardsburgh T., Leeds and Grenville Cs., on the St. Lawrence R. and C. Rds. 2 & 22, 35 km. NE of Brockville.
- The place was settled in 1784 by United Empire Loyalists and first known as Munro's Point after founder Capt. Hugh Munro. Because of strong currents in the St. Lawrence R., boats had to be poled around Munro's Point.
- When shipping increased, the Galops Canal and locks were built in 1846. The canal was filled in when the St. Lawrence Seaway replaced it.
- The community, also known as Point Cardinal, Port Elgin, and Edwardsburgh, was named Cardinal in 1880 in honour of Cardinal Richelieu.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/cardinal