PO Box 98,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
Description From Owner:
- Cargill Pop. 146. In Brant and Greenock Ts., Bruce C., on the Teeswater R. and C. Rd. 32, 11 km. NW of Walkerton.
- Brothers William, James, Donald, Charles, and Malcolm McNeil were among the first settlers of this community. In the late 1850s they started building a mill which they sold to George Elphick, who completed the construction and opened a grist mill.
- Charles Mickle Sr., the next owner of the property, built a sawmill and began shipping lumber from the nearby railway station, which became known as Mickles.
- The community was called Yokassippi, a corruption of the First Nations Peoples' name for the river they called 'Drowned Lands River.' James Cargill, later MP for South Bruce, had acquired most of the land in the Greenock Swamp, buying the sawmill in 1879
- He cut canals to float timber out of the swamp to his sawmill. The canals also drained the swamp and turned Cargill's holdings into valuable farmland. When the post office was established in 1880, Cargill became the first postmaster.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/cargillontario