640 King St. W.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 625. In Kingston T., Frontenac C., near Little Cataraqui Cr. On Hwy 2 and C. Rd. 9, 5 km NW of Kingston.
- The name, First Nations Peoples for ''rocks rising out of the river,' originally was given to a fort built by Louis de Buade, Comte de Palluau et de Frontenac, governor of New France 1672-1682 and 1689-1698.
- The fort, also known as Fort Frontenac, was built in 1673 at the mouth of the Cataraqui R The present community was fIrst called Sandville and then Waterloo, to commemorate the British victory over Napoleon Bonaparte at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
- In 1868 the village was named Cataraqui to end confusion in mail delivery with the town of Waterloo. Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's fIrst prime minister, is buried here in Christ Church Cemetery.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/cataraqui