Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 77. In Artemesia T., Grey C. on C. Rds. 4 & 34, 45 km SE of Owen Sound.
- 1873, Francis and Matilda Hamilton named their property here Virginia.
- The following year, Jane Latimer and David Bell laid out village lots and named the place Walterville, after Mrs. Latimer's husband who had died that year.
- In 1876 the place was called Flesherton Station, but this caused confusion with nearby Flesherton. In 1899 a postal inspector renamed the place Ceylon.
- His name choice is said to have been inspired by fmding a pound of Ceylon tea in the post office-store of Tristam Chislett. Agnes Macphail (1890-1954) was the fIrst woman to be elected to the House of Commons.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/ceylon