Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
- Pop. 943. In Buchanan T, Renfrew C., on the Chalk R. andHwy 17,35 km NW of Pembroke.
- It is believed the river's name originated from the practice of marking timber with chalk at Rafting Bay, where the river meets the Ottawa R.
- The community of Chalk River was settled in the mid-1800s by men who worked in lumber camps in winter and farmed in summer.
- In 1945 the first nuclear reactor outside the United States started operating at a plant on the shore of the Ottawa R. 8 km E of Chalk River.
- The ZEEP (Zero Energy Experimental Pile) was designed by Canadian, British, and French scientists and was the forerunner of more powerful reactors at Chalk River used to produce radioactive isotopes.
- This facility was closed by the Canadian government in 1997.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/chalkriver