Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 3,184. In Chapleau T., Sudbury Dist., at the headwaters of the KapuskasingR. andHwys 101 & 129,272 km NW of Sudbury.
- A divisional point on the CPR, settled in the early 1800s and known by the First Nations Peoples as Nemegosee.
- Mrs. Noel de Tilley, wife of the fIrst CPR engineer to live here, named the settlement after Sir Joseph Adolphe Chapleau, premier of Quebec 1879¬1882 and lieutenant-governor of Quebec 1892-1898.
- Chapleau is at the southern limit of the Chapleau Crown Game Preserve, a roughly diamond-shaped wildlife sanctuary of800,000 hectares (1,976,000 acres) which is the largest game preserve in the world.
- Louis Hernon, author of the novel Maria Chapdelaine, is buried in the Chapleau Roman Catholic Cemetery. He was killed by a train while walking to Western Canada along the CPR tracks, gathering material for future writings.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/chapleauontario