Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 277. In Dack T., Timiskaming Dist., on the Blanche R. and Hwys 560 & 573, 42 km S of Kirkland Lake.
- Louis G. Hooey and Tom McLaughlin, who both arrived in 1902, were the fIrst settlers. A townsite was laid out in 1904, and settlers came overland through the bush from New Liskeard or by water up the Blanche R. from Tomstown, 16 km E.
- When the post office opened in 1904, residents requested the name Auralynn, meaning 'golden falls,' but the name was refused by the post office department.
- The place may have been named to honour Hon. W. A. Charlton, Speaker of the Ontario Legislative Assembly, 1903-1905 and Commissioner of Public Works, 1904-1905.
- Sawmills were operating here by 1904, and a branch line of the Timiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway was built to Charlton in 1907.
- By 1913 the erection of a power dam and generating station made it one of the fIrst rural communities in the north with electricity.
- The place was a bustling community of more than 500 residents in 1922 when a bush fIre destroyed 1,200 square mi. (3,108 sq. km) oftimber and left only the powerhouse and two homes standing in Charlton.
- After the fIre, the town council met for a time in a streetcar on the site of the former courthouse.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/charltonontario