4500 Queen St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Niagara Falls and Wine Country
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 5,134. Part of the City of Niagara Falls, Reg. Mun. of Niagara, on the Welland and Niagara Rs. and on the Niagara Parkway, 5 km. S of Niagara Falls.
- The village was the site of a French stockade before the British conquest of Canada in 1759, and during the American Revolution a British blockhouse known as Fort Chippewa stood here.
- Thomas Cummings, a Scot who had lived in Albany, New York, was the frrst settler and built a house in 1783 on the banks ofthe WeIland R., then known as Chippewa Cr.
- . In 1799 the settlement was called Fort Welland, and in 1835 the name was changed to Bridgewater.
- The Post office, called Chippawa, and believed derived from an Ojibwa word, opened in 1801.
- The community was heavily damaged during the War of 1812. In 1813 a British and Canadian force crossed to the American side of the Niagara River from Chippewa and attacked the depot at Fort Schlosser.
- The successful raid inspired other raids along the frontier. Under cover of darkness on Dec. 29, 1837, volun¬teers commanded by Capt. Andrew Drew of the Royal Navy, captured the Ame¬rican schooner Caroline,
- which had been supplying Mackenzie's rebel forces on Navy I. in the Niagara R. The ship was set on ftre and sunk in the Niagara R.
- The Sir Adam Beck Hydro-Electric Power Project, begun in 1917, used an intake of water from the Niagara R. at Chippawa through a cut made a century before for the first WeIland Canal.
- In 1841 at the age of 65, heroine Laura Secord bought a house here and lived in it until her death at age 93. A memorial stone in a local cemetery describes her heroic act of 1813. See also under Queenston.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/chippawa