11 Balsam St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 3,600. Part of the City of Sudbury, Reg. Mun. of Sudbury, on Hwy 17, 11 km SW of Sudbury.
- The site of Copper Cliff was named in 1771 by Arctic explorer Samuel Hearne because of rich copper deposits found in the area's cliffs.
- . In 1884 prospector Tom Frood found a copper ore body, and in 1886 the first mine was established by Samuel J. Ritchie, owner of the Canadian Copper Company.
- When a high nickel content was discovered in the copper, Ritchie built a nickel smelter at Copper Cliff in 1888.
- In 1902 the Canadian Copper Company merged with the Orford Copper and Nickel Company of New Jersey to form International Nickel Company.
- In 1970 the company built the highest smokestack the world; at 1,250 feet (381 m) it is as tall as the Empire State Building.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/coppercliff