100 Clifford Campbell St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ottawa and Countryside
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 300. In West Carleton T., Reg. Mun. of Ottawa Carleton at the foot of 'les Chats,' rapids on the Ottawa R. and C. Rd. 5, 56 km NW of Ottawa.
- Charles Shirreff was the first settler, building a home in 1818 in anticipation that the 'Huron Route,' a waterway connecting east and west, would run through the Ottawa Valley.
- The next settlers did not arrive until 1823. When boats began to travel between Aylmer and the Upper Ottawa R., the community, first called The Chats, became known as Fitzroy Harbour after the township in which it was then located.
- The township had been named after Sir Charles Augustus Fitzroy, son-in-law of Charles Lennox, 4th Duke of Richmond and governor-in-chief of British North America, 1818-1819.
- Chats Falls, which once attracted visitors, was silenced in the 1930s by construction of the Chats Falls Generating Station and Power Dam. In 1960, Fitzroy Provincial Park was established nearby.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/fitzrroyharbour