Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 442. In Amabel T., Bruce C., on Hwy 6 and C. Rds. 8 & 10, 21 km NW of Owen Sound. William Spencer and William Plows were the first settlers in the area, arriving from England in 1862.
- . William Plows laid out his farm for a townsite, which he called Epworth after the English village from which he and Spencer came.
- Because of Plows' accent, he pronounced 'Epworth' as 'H' epworth,' and when the post office was established in 1866 the name came with the 'H.' Around the turn of the century, the community was thriving with five sawmills.
- Business slowed as the forests of the Bruce Peninsula were depleted. A river flows beneath Hepworth and can be heard through several sink holes in the village.
- The stream's source is Skinner's Marsh east of Hepworth, which emerges west of the community as Spring Creek.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/hepworth