35798 Talbot Line
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 139. In Dunwich and Southwold Ts., Elgin C. on C. Rds. 3 & 14, 23 km. SW of St. Thomas.
- George Munroe surveyed the area around 1815 and named the community after the Holy Isle ofIona in Argyllshire off the west coast of Scotland.
- The settlement straddled the town line and the Dunwich side was called Elliottsville for Sarah Elliott who had donated land for a Methodist church.
- Iona/Elliottsville was an important wagon stop for traders between Niagara and Amherstburg and the population reached 700 by 1870.
- Two years later the Michigan Central Railroad built its line 3 Ian NW of lona and named its station Iona Station. Businesses followed the railway and lona's population dwindled.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/iona