4 Drummond St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 287. In North Crosby and South Crosby Ts., Leeds and Grenville Cs., on the N shore ofNewboro L. and C. Rd. 42, 62 km NE of Kingston. The site of the community was a portage point on the Ottawa-Kingston route.
- It was first known as The Isthmus, or Isthmus. Settlement dates to 1827 when two companies of the British army's construction corps, the Royal Sappers and Miners, worked on building the Rideau Canal.
- The area surrounding The Isthmus had long been settled by United Empire Loyalists but lack of waterpower had left the isthmus virtually unoccupied. In 1824, the home of William Buck Stevens was the only one at the site.
- When the Rideau Canal was completed, steamboats began plying the waterway, and a stagecoach service was started from Newboro. The first sod for the Brockville to Westport Railway was turned at Newboro in 1886, and the line was completed in 1888.
- Over the years there were many fires; the worst, called the Kennedy Fire, in 1874, destroyed 26 buildings.
- The growing community called itself New Borough, which the post office shortened to Newboro' when it opened in 1836. The apostrophe is seldom used.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/newboro