438 Park Ave.,
Ontario Tourism Region : York, Durham and Hills of Headwaters
- Pop. 55,079. In Reg. Mun. of York on the Holland R. and Hwy 9, just Eof C. Rd. 1,48 km. N of Toronto.
- The place was settled around 1801 when Timothy Rogers and Samuel Lundy, Quakers from Pennsylvania, secured land grants for a number of Quaker 'friends.'
- In 1810 the Religious Society of Friends built a frame meeting house that was the first permanent place of worship in this part of the province and which still stands.
- After 1806, when Elisha Beman came from New York State and erected mills and a distillery, the place was called Beman's Corners.
- The settlement soon became an important trading centre for people who previously had to travel to Toronto to do their marketing.
- The First Nations Peoples, too, found a new market when William Roe opened a fur-trading depot in 1816. When the post office was established in 1823, settlers asked that the place be called Newmarket.
- The author of the Jalna novels, Mazo de la Roche (1879-1961), was born in Newmarket. She wrote numerous plays, poems, short stories, and articles, but it was her chronicles of the Whiteoak family that gained her an international reputation.
Natural Resources Canada in the Region of York.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/newmarket