Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northwest Ontario
- Pop. 2,377. In Nipigon T., Thunder Bay Dist., on Nipigon Bay of L. Supenor at the mouth of the Nipigon R. and Hwy 11, 2 km W of Hwy 17, 107 km NE of Thunder Bay.
- Six to seven thousand years ago, the first known surface mining of copper in the Americas was being conducted throughout this region of the Lake Superior basin.
- The copper was traded extensively and used for tool making by First Nations Peoples in the area until the introduction of iron by European traders.
- The town grew up on the site of a trading post established in 1678 by Daniel Greysolon, Sieur Dulhut, and replaced in 1820 by a Hudson's Bay Company post called Red Rock House.
- (Dulhut was a French soldier who, in 1678, explored the Sioux country around L. Superior, claiming what is now Minnesota, for France. The city of Duluth, MN was named in his honour.)
- The post office was established in 1872 as Red Rocks. The name refers to the Palis¬ades of the Pijitawabik -- pillar-like cliffs that rise along the L. Nipigon shoreline about 38 km N of Nipigon.
- In 1889 the post office was renamed Nipigon, a First Nations Peoples word meaning 'deep, clear water.'
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/nipigonontario