2 King E.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 1,141. In Emily T., Victoria C., on the Pigeon R. at the foot of Pigeon L. and Hwy 7 and C. Rds. 7 & 38, 24 km. W of Peterborough.
- In 1825 William Cottingham built a mill on the Pigeon R. and a community began to form, largely made up of Irish Catholic immigrants from County Cork.
- The place was called Williamstown, after William Cottingham, until the post office opened in 1832 and was named Emily after the township.
- In 1857 the name was changed to Omemee after the Omemee (Pigeon) Indians, a sub-tribe of the Mississaugas, who had once hunted in the area.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/omemee