Ontario Tourism Region : Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 237. In Harrison T., Parry Sound Dist. at the tip of a point on the E shore of Georgian Bay, 50 km. by boat NW of Parry Sound.
- The post office was established as Pointe au Baril in 1892. The story goes that a barrel of whisky lost by fur transporters was found the following spring by a party of French traders stranded on an island at the entrance to Pointe au Baril Channel.
- After drinking the whisky they placed the empty cask on a pole as a beacon. Another version is that fur traders placed a light in a barrel on shore to guide them back to land after they had finished their evening's fishing.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/pointeaubaril