Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 24. In 1786, 500 Scottish Highlanders led by Father Alexander Macdonnell emigrated to this area from Knoydart, Scotland, and built a church known as the Blue Chapel.
- In 1815 the settlers began building a larger stone structure to replace the original church. The interior was built without pillars, using hardwood pegs instead of nails.
- The huge church was completed in 1821 and remained in use until it was gutted by fire in 1970.
- The stonework and design of the exterior walls is so massive and intricate that the Ontario Heritage Foundation has had them stabilized so they will not deteriorate further and the grounds have been landscaped.
- During summer church services and plays are performed in the roofless ruins.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/straphaels