35 East St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 75. In Colborne T., Huron C. on the Maitland R. and Hwy 21, 1 km N of Goderich. The place was founded in 1834 by Dr. William 'Tiger' Dunlop and fIrst called Gairbraid after his mother's home in Dunbartonshire, Scotland.
- The Crown and Anchor, first tavern in the township, was built here and was the venue for the fIrst township meeting.
- The community was known as Bridge End Place and Maitlandville, after the river, until 1866. In that year a company from nearby Goderich was drilling for oil and hit a solid salt bed, still being mined.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/saltford