1604 Mount Albert Rd
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : York, Durham and Hills of Headwaters
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 2,530. In Reg. Mun. of East Gwillimbury on C. Rds. 12 & 13,50 km N of Toronto.
- The community was founded around 1812 by David Willson, son of an Irish immigrant from NY.
- Willson was a Quaker minister who broke away to form his own religious sect, which he called the Children of Peace, and which contemporaries called the Davidites.
- Willson and his followers built a temple called the Temple of Sharon, which has no architectural equal in the world.
- For a time the community was called Davidtown, but when the post office was opened in 1841 it was called Sharon after the temple, which now is operated as a museum. In July each year since 1980, Music at Sharon features singing groups.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/sharon