PO Box 1002,
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 41. In Frontenac C., on C. Rds. 36 & 509, 19 km N of Sharbot Lake which is 36 km. SW of Perth.
- The community is named after Quebec surveyor John Allen Snow (1824-1888) who surveyed the Mississippi Road in 1857. The road was built through northern Palmerston, Clarendon and Miller Ts., to intersect with the Frontenac and Addington Rds.
- Construction was completed by 1859 and the road was known locally as the Snow Road. In 1883 Snow Road became a station on the Kingston and Pembroke Railway.
- The community of Playfair Corner saw its first settlers in 1860 but none of them stayed.
- In 1861, John J. Playfair and his son, William Andrew, arrived and took up land on the Frontenac/Snow Road at the southern junction of these roads which became known as Playfair Corner.
- All traffic from the East, North or South passing through the area passed through Playfair Corner. John J. Playfair did not stay long but his son, Wm. A. stayed long enough to get the community on the map.
- He appears to have competed with his uncle Elisha at Plevna to see who would get a community established first. Wm. A. won out. The first Post Office in the area was established at Playfair Corner, first school, first hotel, and the oldest cemetery.
- There was a store there in 1863 -- the first recorded in the area.
- No record was found to show when Wm. A. Playfair left the community. However, his name did not appear on the 1871 census and the hotel, at that time, was operated by either Alex Lackie or Margaret Garrahs.
- from: Away Back in Clarendon and Miller Charles A. Armstrong 1976
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/snowroadstation