Hwy 3 & # 4,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 128. In Southwold T., Elgin C. on Hwy 4 and C. Rd. 3, 5 km NW of St. Thomas.
- In 1811, Col. Mahlon Burwell's survey party drove five stakes into the ground here to mark the junction of five roads in Southwold Township.
- The place became known as Five Stakes. John Allworth operated a hotel here which was a favourite hangout of Col. Thomas Talbot (1771-1853) and Allworth became the first postmaster of the community that later became known as Talbotville Royal.
- Talbot obtained a grant of many thousands of acres from the British government, established himself at Port Talbot on L. Erie and founded the Talbot Settlement, of which the capital, St. Thomas, still bears his name.
- Many communities in the Cs. of Essex, Kent, Lambton, Norfolk, Oxford, Elgin and Middlesex owe their origin to Talbot's colonizing efforts. He ruled his vast territory in almost patriarchal state for nearly 50 years.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/talbotvilleroyal