Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 1,076. In Caldwell T., Nipissing Dist., on the Veuve R. and Hwys 17,64, & 575, 54 km W of North Bay.
- The community came into being with the completion of the CPR line between North Bay and Sudbury in 1883. After helping to build the line, some of the workmen returned with their families, cleared the land, and farmed.
- The place was first called Burnside because the settlers discovered fIre had swept both sides of the railway track at that point.
- The name Burnside was requested when the post office was established in 1886, but the railway station was named Verner Station and that name was given to the settlement.
- Verner was the maiden name of the wife of Archer Baker, general superintendent of the CPR.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/verner