Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 4,752. In Brant T., Bruce C., on the Saugeen R. and C. Rd. 4, 77 km. SW of Owen Sound.
- In 1849, William Jasper and Edward Boulton built the first house.
- A year later, Joseph Walker built the first sawmill at the place then called Elgin.
- The community developed on Walker's farm lots and its name was changed to Walkerton. For nine years Walker tried to have it declared the county town.
- Eventually he succeeded, and when Walkerton was incorporated as a town in 1871, Walker became the first mayor. In 2000, a deadly strain ofE. coli in the town's water system killed seven people and left another 2,300 seriously ill.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/walkertonontario