401 Ouellette Ave.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 200,062. City in Essex C., on the Detroit R. and on Hwys 3 & 401, on the Detroit R. S of Detroit MI and linked to it by a vehicular suspension bridge, auto tunnel, and rail tunnel, 190 km SW of London.
- Jesuit missionaries operated a post in 1640, and the French had a fortified post on the site in 1734 called Fort Pontchartrain.
- Urban development within the present city of Windsor occurred following the American acquisition of the Michigan side of the river in 1796. This resulted in the founding of Sandwich to replace Detroit as capital of the Western District.
- Sandwich was subsequently annexed by Windsor. The place was known by a string of names -- La Traverse, South Side, The Ferry, Richmond, and South Detroit -- before Windsor was chosen in 1836, after Windsor in Berkshire, England.
- As it grew, Windsor annexed Sandwich, Walkerville, East Windsor, Riverside, Ojibwa, and parts of Sandwich West, East, and South Ts.
- Windsor, nicknamed 'The Rose City,' is home of the University of Windsor, the St. Clair College of Applied Arts and Technology, the Hiram Walker Historical Museum (in the 1811 Francois Baby House), and the Art Gallery of Windsor.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Canada in the County of Essex.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/windsor