County Rd 6 RR # 2,
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 581. In Camden T., Lennox and Addington Cs., on the Napanee R. and C. Rds. 1, 4, & 6, 26 km NW of Kingston.
- A 1,000-acre (405 ha) parcel including the village site was acquired in 1796 by Lt.-Gov. John Graves Simcoe. The land was inherited by Henry A. Simcoe, who sold land and water privileges to Sidney Warner in 1840.
- Warner sold the portion north of the river to George Miller and the south portion to David Vader. Vade built a mill and the place was known as Vader's Mills.
- Later the name changed to Simcoe Falls. In 1859 the community received a post office, with instructions the the name be changed since there was another place in Ontario called Simcoe.
- From a list of possible names submitted, postal authorities chose Yarker, suggested by mill owner Alexander McVean and honouring George W. Yarker, a Kingston mill owner.
- The Benjamin Manufacturing Company, originally manufacturers ofl light buggy wheels and, latterly, baskets and crates, was the community's major employer. In 1928 the factory was destroyed by fire.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/yarker