5639 Ardoch Road
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 36. In Clarendon T., Frontenac C. on Hwy. 506, 31 km NW of Sharbot Lake. Ardoch post office was established in1865. On a 1904 map the name was shown as Green Lake.
- Ardoch was the home town of the Jacobi's in Germany and of the Stevensons in Scotland.
- Which of these families brought the name to the area is not known. The name Jacobi was not recorded in the 1871 census although they were definitely there around 1865.
- The Stevenson name was recorded in the 1871 census. (O.R. Jacobi and the Stevensons left the area during the 1870's and settled in North Dakota where they established another Ardoch.
- This Ardoch is included in the current issue of the World Gazeteer. The E.R. Jacobi family joined the others during the 1880's. These families had intermarried.)
- Ardoch was the first community in the area to receive permanent settlers. The Watkins family and John Henderson settled there in 1860 and spent their lives in the community.
- This places Ardoch as the No. 1 Community, chronologically. It is located on a site which was eminently suitable for a pioneer community centre.
- A major product of the area for many years was timber which was floated down the rivers and streams to market.
- Ardoch was located where the Frontenac Road crossed the Mississippi River at a point a short distance upstream from the mouth of Buckshot Creek.
- John Henderson chose Lot 26 NER for his homestead. This became a part of the site of the village. He operated a tannery, the ruins of which are still visible along the Mississippi River.
- As time progressed, Ardoch got its quota of services.
- This community, originally developed along the Frontenac road was expanded to include settlements along the Smith Road, East end of the Fernleigh Road, West end of the Struthadam Road and Mud Lake Road and other nearby sideroads.
- The original name was Millburn, Milltown or Melbourne. No one knows the exact name but it may have been Melbourne, named after Lord Melbourne, one of Queen Victoria's prime ministers.
- When the name was changed is not known but the post office, established on June 25, 1865, is recorded by the Post Office Department as Ardoch from the date of its opening,
- notwithstanding the fact that a song written about the Deacon Murder around 1870 referred to the community by its original name.
- An Orange Lodge was established during the early years and an Orange Hall was built. The trustees, including Bramwell Watkins, Chas. Smith, Sr., and Luke Ward, sold the building to Geo. Publow for a cheese factory in 1895.
- Interest in an Orange Lodge had disappeared.
- from: Away Back in Clarendon and Miller Charles A. Armstrong 1976
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/ardoch