3320 County Rd. #48
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 38. In Belmont T., Peterborough C., 1.5 km N of Hwy. 7 on C. Rd. 48, 45 km NE of Peterborough. Large iron ore deposits attracted Charles Hayes in 1824 but the difficulties in getting ore to market soon closed him down.
- In 1847 Joseph Van Norman reopened the smelting furnaces but also failed. In 1866 an American company and the Marmora Iron Co., formed 'Cobourg, Peterborough and Marmora Railway and Mining Company.'
- They built a spur line to the Trent R By 1867, 300 miners were employed and the place boomed until the early 1900s. Blairton was named for an early settler.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/blairtonontario