410 Canboro Rd.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Niagara Falls and Wine Country
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 62. Part of the Town of Pelham, Reg. Mun. of Niagara, 8 km NW of Thorold. Samuel Beckett came here in 1793 and bought from David Secord the land on which the place now stands.
- Beckett built a sawmill near Secord's grist mill and around them grew a place first called Beckett's Mills. In 1850 the name changed to Effmgham at the suggestion of Englishman George Redpath, owner of the local store.
- The prosperous village declined when a new Welland Canal diverted much of the water that had powered the mills.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/effingham