168 West Street
Ontario Tourism Region : Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington
- 7 days a week open at 11:30 am and close by 11 pm. Call to make sure we are open later on and the kitchen is open.
Description From Owner:
- BEACH STREET STATION NOW OPEN!
- The historic Goderich CPR station had it's official opening as one end of the Goderich-Guelph rail service on Thursday, September 12, 1907. It was last used as a boarding platform in 1956, and the entire line was abandoned in 1989.
- Designated Heritage Property 2005 Reason for Designation: The Goderich CP railway station, referenced in the Heritage Railway Stations Inventory in 1987, remains locally significant and is designated for architectural and contextual reasons.
- The station is built of red brick with limestone foundation. It has a hipped roof over the central portion with a cross-gable and lunette trackside.
- Restored slate tiles top the cupola of the round waiting room. The sloped roof over the platform and the Armstrong turntable to the west of the building, were previously removed.
- Original interior features include a true ceiling with three large medallions, wooden screens, interior doors, fixtures, trim and decorative plaster.
- The stationhouse is located on land bought from the Canada Company in 1837 by Jacob Cummer and John Wilson and was opened for service in 1907. Passenger sevice ended in 1956, and mixed train service in 1961.
- One of the last CPR trains stopped on the bridge on August 3, 1988 and blew its whistle for a final time. Just before abandonment of the line, a special train was sent from London to take out the last load of graders which occurred on December 16, 1988.
- In July 2013, the station was moved several hundred metres closer to the lake with its former trackside facade facing west. Restoration of the building, including the platform canopy, has begun in anticipation of opening as a restaurant.