Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 350. In East Ferris T., Nipissing Dist., on the SW shore ofL. Nosbonsing, 21 km. SE of North Bay.
- The first settlers, in 1886, were brothers Cleophas, Alexandre, Joseph-Alphonse, and Alvarez Roberts Levesque who paddled their canoe to the head of the lake and built themselves a house.
- The tiny settlement was fIrst known as Levesque. Rev. Moise Legault was the fIrst priest to visit the pioneer settlers. In 1887 a chapel was built under the guidance of Rev. Georges-Thomas Gagnon.
- It was replaced in 1902 by a church built by residents under the direction of Father Joseph-Antonin Astor, who ran the mission, Tete du Lac (head of the lake).
- Two years later the church was destroyed by fIre. In 1913 a hurricane heavily damaged another church erected on the same site.
- In 1965 an impressive new structure, the Church of St. Thomas Aquinas, was built. The post office, fIrst named Nosbonsing after the lake, was renamed Astorville to honour Father Astor.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/Astorville