Ontario Tourism Region : Hamilton, Halton, and Brant
- Pop. 132,772. City in the Reg. Mun. of Halton at the end of L. Ontario on the QEW and C. Rd. 1, directly N across the bay from Hamilton.
- In 1669, explorer Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieur de LaSalle, left Montreal on the first of several voyages of exploration, seeking a passage to the Far East.
- He was accompanied by the Sulpician missionaries Francois Dollier de Casson and Rene Francois de Brehan de Galinee. They reached Burlington Bay, travelled inland for a time, and then returned to Montreal.
- The city grew from what started as Brant's Block, a tract of 3,450 acres (1,397 ha) given to Iroquois Chief Joseph Brant (Thayendanegea) by King George III for services during the American Revolutionary War.
- The first settler was August Bates, who arrived in 1800. In 1807 James Gage purchased 338 acres (136.89 ha) from Brant's widow and laid out a village site which he called Wellington Square, honouring the Duke of Wellington.
- In 1873 the hamlets of Wellington Square and Port Nelson amalgamated and became Burlington, believed to be a corruption of Bridlington, a resort town in Yorkshire, England.
- In 1954, William Breckon of Burlington became the first Ontario farmer to win the World Wheat Championship at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair with his Genesee grain.
Natural Resources Canada in the Region of Halton.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/burlington