32 Cambridge St S
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Pop. 16,815. In Ops T., Victoria C., on the Scugog R. and Hwys 7 & 35 and C. Rd. 17,43 km. W of Peterborough.
- The T. of Ops was surveyed in 1825 by Col. Duncan McDonnell.
- He found a layer of rich clay loam covering the limestone bed of the area, and because of the excellent agricultural potential named the township after Ops, wife of Saturn and goddess of plenty and fertility in ancient Rome.
- Patrick Connell settled that year although American William Purdy and his sons, Jesse and Hazard, are considered to be the founders of Lindsay.
- The townsite was then a portage place across the Scugog R. which the First Nations People called Onigahning. Settlers called it Portage Place, and after Purdy tiuiltanlltl in 1828 the place was known as Purdy's Mills or Purdy's Rapids.
- When the Post office was established in 1836, the place was called Lindsay after asurvey assistant, who was accidentally shot in the leg in 1825 and subsequently died of infection.
- In 1861 a fIre destroyed four hotels, two mills, the post offiee, and 83 other buildings. Character actress Marie Dressler made her debut at Lindsay's opera house in 1897 at the age of five.
- Ernest Thompson Seton (1860-1946) grew up on a nearby farm. He was an amateur naturalist and illustrator and produced about 40 books of stories about North American wildlife.
- In 1958 promoters staged Canada's first bullfIght here. It was to be bloodless, and matadors were armed only with wooden swords, but protests flooded in from across the country.
- The promot¬ers lost a bundle because hundreds of spectators gained entrance without paying admission.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/lindsayontario