Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 11. In the United Cs. of Leeds & Grenville on the NE bay of Whitefish L. and Hwy 15 at C. Rd. 11, 25 km. N of Gananoque.
- In 1852 the place was called Whitefish Creek. Two years later the name was changed to Morton after George Morton who had built a cheese factory and became postmaster that year.
- A soaring lookout over the Rideau Waterway, and a local landmark for generations. (frontenacarchbiosphere.ca)
- Rock Dunder is also a tiny rock island extending just above the waters of Lake Champlain roughly 2.8 miles (4.5 km) southwest from the Burlington, Vermont ferry dock.
- Rock Dunder owes its name to one such incident. At the height of the Battle of Lake Champlain (or Battle of Plattsburgh) a British vessel mistakenly fired on the rock, then obscured by fog.
- When the officer discovered his mistake he is said to have cried out 'It's a rock, by Dunder!', earning the place its name. (wikipedia.org)
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/mortonontario